A Travellerspoint blog

January 2019

St john 2019 part 2

Wed the winds were down so great snorkel at Haulover North.


We went to Kiddle for the first time in a few years. The rope was down and we were able to park in there. Stayed here from 1130-4pm. Snorkeled both sides.


Thursday Jan 17

Arrived at Francis at 0915 Got a great shady place made out of sticks to set up shade. At 1100 a large family moved in with 4 small children under the age of 3. I must admit there were very quiet and did not bother us. In fact, enjoyed watching them in the waves.

We snorkeled to left clear to Maho. Water was not to clear today. Saw lots of fish but nothing remarkable.


We tried the Wok on the beach for the first time in Coral Bay. We got there early and most seats were open. before we left it was completely full. I did not get the waitress name but she did a fabulous job and did not get riled when they got so busy. It is actually one of the few restaurants that have an ocean view.


Friday Jan 18

Went to Grootpan at 0900. Had beach to ourselves for a few hours. had to put parasheet up for shade.


Snorkeled to right and pretty clear today. Saw some reef far out had not seen before.


We made our weekly stop at Miss Lucy for Grouper Rueben fix.


We then drove over to East end.


Saturday Jan 19th.

We found that Saturdays are a turn around day for some so fewer people at Salt Pond. I love coming here. Always see turtles, stingrays and usually and squid. The rocks in the middle are great snorkel if it is not to choppy. Today did not disappoint.




Tomorrow is my 62 birthday Hello Social Security! The restaurants I want to go to were both closed on Sunday so I decided to go tonight. We were early enough to see the sunset


then went to Virgin Fire Bistro.44885060-24dc-11e9-a8c3-bb79f9d1d1db.JPG

We had reservations for 6 pm. the place was almost 1/2 full already. Service was remarkable as always and Abby our waitress was special. Not only beautiful but charming and efficient.

I had a grapefruit margarita that was so good would need two.c0bfc800-2556-11e9-b65b-bd7e9ff2c9f3.JPG

We had crunchy calamari

I had the shrimp and Jumbo Lump crab and homemade pappardelle.

My husband had Cioppino seafood stew.

Loved the meal and service

Sunday, Jan 20th

treated to a colorful sunrise

and lovely breakfast53fc2da0-255e-11e9-b77f-a14fd2084fc3.JPG

I picked to go to waterlemon for my birthday. the walk in is all along shore and easy.


When we got in the water my husband gave me the look! He said he forgot the camera battery. I said no problem after 39 years of marriage he does not forget things often It is usually me. Usually though if the battery goes dead that is when you see so many unusual things. Not today nothing was missed. When we got out of the water we were talking to a lady who is traveling on her own. She is a scientist and found out they just cleared a trail to so ruins we had not seen in the gut of Leinster Bay. So glad she told us or we would have missed it.


We sat on the little beach across from parking lot and read and enjoyed the ripple of the water


Some pictures of full moon and eclipse FULL DISCLOSURE Someone else posted

Monday 21

We went to Oppenmyer and Gibney beach it looks different now. We still enjoyed and just spent the whole day here with a rain shower lasting about 20 min.


Tuesday Jan 22

We hiked to Brown Bay. It was disappointing snorkel the water was all churned up. We did see thousands of little fish unsure what they were but seemed bigger than fry fish, Also some interesting tube fish in sand coming out of holes as we were coming in. A barracuda just kept circling us. Usually, they don't bother me but this one got on my nerves.


Went to the east end and snorkeled the shelve past pelican rock



Went to Francis and set up neso for shade spent the whole day there. Larry and Jane the owners of Angelroost
took us out to eat at Rhumblines. It was not as busy as the last time we were there but they still have some service issues. The food was ok

Thursday 0e770230-25a6-11e9-977b-41fdcc9f663f.JPG

We went to Lamshur and set up chairs in the shade Then we hiked teck tite trail


Friday rainy and misty did not go to the beach until 1030 and we chose Gibney with all its imperfections it is still one of our favorites. We had the beach to ourselves until the afternoon.IMG_2179.JPGIMG_2176.JPGIMG_2183.JPGIMG_2180.JPGIMG_2191.JPG

Saturday the day of doom

VVWY6337.JPGAUPM6485.JPGIMG_2211.JPGIMG_2218.JPGIMG_2217.JPG6909drive home.JPG

When we landed in Chicago we had quite the drive home roads very slick and snow covered had to go 40 miles and hour all the way home.
What a drastic change in weather.

Until next year


Posted by Cindygad 16:29 Comments (0)

St John 2019

Three glorious weeks

Jim retired on Wednesday this year after 39 and a half years at AEP working as an electrical engineer. We went to Chicago for Park, Sleep and Fly. We stayed at Best Western in Des Plaines. We went to a Guy Feri place of diners and drive in called paradise pup. It is a small place that serves the best burgers and fries and Malts yes I said Malt. you do not hear that much anymore.

Sat Jan 5th up early and left the hotel at 615. We went to United Club room to wait and have a light breakfast. We were to meet up at the airport with Michele and Doug friends we had met in 2009 on a cruise. This is before Michele was destined to be a travel agent. She is awesome and always goes above and beyond to provide the best service possible. Hopefully this trip she can get some much-needed downtime. We had a 0850 flight. It takes about 5 hours to get to St John.

First glimpse of land


I went to the bathroom to change clothes and our luggage came out. We were hoping to catch the 5 pm ferry. Michele had contacted Ali

one of the drivers she has used before to pick us up on a private van. We were excited and loaded up and were off. about 15 min into the ride my phone rings and says, Charlotte Amalie. I do not know anybody there but answered and he said he had one of our luggage back at the airport. I said nope we got them all. He said, lady, I am telling you I am calling you from the number on your bag. We looked in the back and sure enough, I had left one on the sidewalk. So much for catching the ferry, we had to turn around and go back to the airport to get it. We arrived at Redhook just as the ferry was pulling away. Oh, well we are on island time. Jim bought us Painkillers, Bushwackers, and Doug a beer. It helped to ease the pain. It tasted so good and before we knew it we were loading the ferry.


Courtesy met us at the dock and we were off to get our 4 door Jeep. We stopped at the dolphin market for necessities like rum beer, eggs, water, and bread. We called Stan owner of Lunazul and said we were on our way. It was dark and we were unsure which road. It had been three years since we had stayed there and everything looked different after hurricanes. Our phones would not work so we gave it a try on our own. thought we were on right rode then decided it was not. Jim backed out of this crazy driveway and we went back down. Finally got phone reception and got a hold of Stan and he met us and took us back up. We were on the right road after all. It felt so good to be returning to Lunazul. They had lost a couple windows and a door in Hurricanes. Everything looked great and some of the palms were growing back nicely. We put our food away and decided to eat in and made some sandwiches and turned in 1030 island time. So good to be back on the island.

Sunday, Jan 6th

Up at 530 made coffee and watched island start to come alive. My absolute favorite time of day. Doug made sausage and Michele made dipping eggs

IMG_1577.JPGIMG_1582.JPG .IMG_1575.JPGIMG_1581.JPGIMG_1583.JPGIMG_1584.JPG

We picked Frances as the first beach and sat up camp. First on the beach at 1000.

We came back and had drinks and appetizers. We had chicken kiev, rice, and salad. We listened to music and went to be about 0830.


Today is Doug's birthday. We had blueberry pancakes and sausage.


We went to Hawknest beach.


We listened to music and played dominos.


Had steak and egg scramble and muffins.


We went to Haulover South for the morning and a snorkel.


We stopped at Skinnys for some shopping and drinks. I had a Bushwacker and chips to snack on.


Stopped at Maho for a swim

We had supper from Carribean Oasis located down below lunazul. We all had pecan chicken that is to die for and sides of coleslaw, mashed potatoes.


Started off with some light sprinkles and end up with a beautiful day on trunk bay.


We stayed at the beach all day. We all four had been floating and talking in water. We all were leaving the water at the same time and boom we got hit With a big wave and all of us did a somersault in the water and came up laughing. We gave the whole beach their laugh of the day!

We had little hamburgers and smashed potatoes. Jim and I stayed up and watched Bird Box movie.


Today we took Doug and Michele to a new beach they had not been to. Little Lameshure. We were the only ones on the beach for a while. the road down is pretty challenging. They loved this remote beach and definitely get St John if they love it here. They snorkeled and then we headed to Miss Lucy for a late lunch.


Miss Lucy's and Ruben grouper sandwich.IMG_1928.JPG
My favorite on the island.


To full for supper since we had late lunch. Just had cheese and crackers and sausage while played dominos.



Dennis Bay was our first stop of the day


We left for one last snorkel at Maho.


We stopped at Carribean Oasis to get some mashed potatoes to go with our turkey for supper and had a couple rounds of drinks at bar.

Had best Turkey dinner for last meal at Lunazul. Don't laugh but I brought a small turkey breast and we roasted it in the oven. It was so good.



day to leave Lunazul and transfer to Angelroost for two more weeks.


We went into town and it started raining. Went to Mongoose junction for a little shopping and stopped in at new tap room for a drink and some cheese curds.


We took Doug and Michele to catch 1 pm ferry, We enjoyed sharing the week with them. Loved that Michele was able to enjoy and savor the quietness and beauty of the island. She says in her words a place where her soul rests and her heart beats at a slower pace.

Until next year my friends

We went back to Angelroost and unpacked and talked to owners Larry and Jane Brown.
We took it easy and had little sausages and crescent rolls and watched the playoffs.


Woke up to a very sunny day and had blueberry pancakes. We left at 0930 and parked by road to enter long swim to pelican rock. Good snorkel and very calm


We went to Haulover South and did a snorkel clear around to lime cove.


Went To RhumblinesIMG_1855.JPG

for happy hour 5-6 half off pu pu menu and drinks. Drinks were good. Service has some bugs to work out. Took a long time to get drinks. Ordered food and ours came out and people next to us waited an hour and they had ordered before us. We all enjoyed talking to the people around us. One couple we had met at the beach she is also a nurse Chris and husband Tim from Massachusett they come every Jan. Another younger couple is down working on a house they bought. It used to be Leslie and Steve's rental before Hurricane. They hope to rent next year and come to visit when they can. They have 5 children. The bartender gave us all 6 a round of drinks because service was so slow. We enjoyed our evening in spite of the service.


To Hawknest and was beautiful there. We picked some shade and about an hour later a couple came and sat right in front of us. Not the view we wanted so we went to Dennis Bay and read. No snorkeling today


Today we had Lap of St John scheduled with Busy Bee. Went to the office across from Skinny's to meet and the other couple had canceled due to sickness. We offered to come another day and Bryan the owner said no today is a perfect weather day and we were off. His wife Marguerite are expecting a baby in June. She walked us to the pier so we could get on Busy Bee. First stop was Bee Hive. We had snorkeled here but not clear out to point. Enjoyed this snorkel a lot.


Second snorkel was ove by St James Christmas Cove we snorkeled around cay and then went for pizza at pizzia pi.


We had 1/2 Indiana sweet home and another half Dali Lane. So good Bryan called our order in and when we pulled up it was ready. How cool is that getting fresh pizza on the ocean!!!! Really good!

The third snorkel was Whistling Cay someplace I have always wanted to snorkel. Water was a little choppy


We went in Cruz Bay to get some gas


The 4th snorkel was round bay at the end of the long bay. Not too much to see except an Octopus

See St John 2019 Part 2


Posted by Cindygad 16:27 Archived in US Virgin Islands Comments (0)