A Travellerspoint blog

the Papal Mass part 3, 2018

Wed Papal Mass with Pope Frances

Jim had gone on Tuesday to get free tickets you get them directly from the Swiss guard in St Peter's Square at the bronze door. We arrived at 0730 to a huge number of people and went through security took us about a half hour. We then went and found a seat in chairs set up and tried to get in the aisle where the Pope goes through in Popemobile. They had several large screens set up in the square. He arrived a little before 10 and went up the aisle and middle where we were. Pope Francis stopped several times to bless people. I was overwhelmed and it brought me to tears. So Happy to experience Pope Francis in person.


We decided to take a walk. Rome is known as the city of seven hills, but actually the Gianicolo or Janiculum the hill that provides one of the best views of Rome to go down we went down to TRASTEVERE. We stayed here the last time and love the location. We had time to wander around and found a great stop for lunch


At Noon

the quiet is momentarily broken by the single shot of a cannon to mark the exact time, a tradition that dates back to the 19th century. We saw a bunch of people waiting and wondered what was happening and BOOM. the cannon went off. We just happened to be in the right place at right time to see it


We went down the steps to TRASTEVERE and wandered around. Found a great place for lunch. I was a little too happy after sharing a bottle of Chanti with Jim and had to get a picture with the bartender!


We spent time exploring


I had to rest my ankles, sat on the square and enjoyed people watching after all the walking.


We walked back along the Tiber River and I went to the room and rested while Jim checked out a few more churches and Lego displays.





For our final night in Rome, we picked a restaurant Fabio had recommended, Osteria de Memmo

I had mushroom tagliatelle and Jim had seafood tagliatelle. We shared a cheese plate and bottle of wine.


Thursday the dreaded travel day home. Started day off scary our driver did not show up. Fabio came through again and called them and they said our driver's car had broken down and they were sending another driver. 25 min later the driver arrived. He drove like a racecar driver and we made it to the airport with a few minutes to spare. The first leg of the flight to London. We ate a great burger at the pilots club there. Next long flight home to Chicago. Landed and pulled into our driveway at 1130 at night. Awesome trip and met some wonderful people.


Posted by Cindygad 11:43 Archived in Italy

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

Comments on this blog entry are now closed to non-Travellerspoint members. You can still leave a comment if you are a member of Travellerspoint.